Grandparents’ rights

With regard to child custody, grandparents (and great-grandparents) may have rights.

The Pennsylvania Domestic Relations Code addresses who may file for custody of a child. In the code, grandparents and great-grandparents may file, under certain circumstances. In this respect, the law recognizes that grandparents may have much to contribute to the child’s well-being.

One common situation is where grandparents have already taken the child into their home. Then, due to a change in circumstances, the child moves in with his or her parents. The statute provides that, when the child resided with the grandparent or great-grandparent for at least 12 consecutive months (excluding brief temporary absences from the home) and is removed from the home by the parents, there is a right to file an action for custody. The action must be filed within six months after removal of the child from the home.

There are other circumstances in which grandparents may file for custody. Each case depends on its own facts.

If you are a grandparent, or anyone else seeking custody, you should consult with an attorney to understand your rights and how to enforce them. The Seach Law Offices provides legal advice and represents clients in custody matters. Call our office for a free consultation. (570)359-3283.